Sunday, November 16, 2008

Part update / part book review

Did ya miss me?!

Oh, who am I kidding. I don't think anyone reads this thing anyway! LOL

Anyway, I think my life has calmed down enough for me to add another "commitment" of sorts, and get back to blogging. It's amazing to me when just one aspect of your life goes through change, how much it sends *everything* out of whack.

To give you the Reader's Digest version:

Old job closed down.
A few of the old employees were retained to carry on for a new company.
I was not asked to stay.
I found another job.
While serving out my remaining time for old company, a co-worker (who was hired to stay for new company), who probably has a mental problem (not kidding) and went all ape sh*t on me.
I decided to leave early.
Started new job.
New job ROCKS beyond belief.
After being at new job for one month, I'm asking myself why I didn't leave old job sooner.
(And from what I hear from remaining employees - mental problem is still a problem.)

Really. No kidding. New job is awesome. I love it. I was concerned at the start because it was definitely a change in job responsibility compared to the previous job. But... no problem!

Which brings me to the book review part of my post...

I'm in a book club who meets every other month. We've been going for about 7 (?) years now. And because of this book club, I've read many, many books that I would have never picked up otherwise. Most books have been great. A few became instant classics (to me, anyway). And some.. well, some I didn't like. But that's to be expected. You're not going to love every single book you read, anyway.

The last book club selection was Life's Golden Ticket by Brendon Burchard. From the official website:

An enchanted amusement park is the magical setting for personal transformation in this inspirational parable in the tradition of The Alchemist and The Five People that You Meet in Heaven.

(taken from http://www.lifesgoldenticket.com/)

Let me first say that I loathe inspirational/self-help/motivational novels. Really. Don't care to read them AT ALL. In book club, we previously read The Alchemist and The Five People You Meet in Heaven. Hated The Alchemist. Was ok with Five People... But other book club picks like Conversations with God I couldn't even finish. So, when this book was picked I immediately groaned and thought "no way". Not really the best attitude to go into a book with.

To be honest, the book, from a motivational standpoint, was kind of preachy, and epitomizes exactly why I don't like motivational books. But from a fiction standpoint - this book was pretty good.

But the MAIN reason I mention all this in the first place, is that one of the "rules for admission" in getting into the amusement park in the book is... "I agree to give up my belief that change equals pain."

I just thought how timely that is. That is me, in a nutshell. Change = pain. The last 2 times I've had to switch jobs, I've fought them both tooth and claw. And they both ended up being what was best for me at the time. But I fought nevertheless. Wasted time and effort on my part.

Hopefully since I've done it TWICE, I will remember the lesson I've learned and not fight so hard in the future. Think that's possible?

Anyway - if you have some time, give the book a shot. Most everyone in my book club liked the book and thought it worthwhile.

1 comment:

Michele said...

I read your blog. I missed you. I'm glad you are back! And even more glad that your new job ROCKS!! Woohoo!!!

Book sounds interesting. I am not into self-help much either but may have to pick this one up. Thanks!