Monday, September 1, 2008

New Cookie!

[moved from an old blog]

So, last week was my son's annual IEP meeting. For those of you not in the "special ed" world, this is the annual meeting the parents have with teachers, administrators and therapists concerning your child's education. You set goals and services for the next school year. I get WAY stressed before these meetings. Anyway, the meeting went well, and I thought I would make the special ed department at my son's school some cookies to show them how appreciative I was.

So, I baked some chocolate chip cookies the day after the meeting, and drove off all the would-be cookie theives in my household with a sternly worded note on the plate - DO NOT EAT! FOR THE TEACHERS! Don't worry, I made them their own plate...

And what happens? We get 2 snow days in a row!! No school! And then we had the weekend on top of it. Those cookies weren't going to be any good by Monday!! Needless to say those cookies did not go to waste. (waist?) As a family, we all scarfed down the cookies, with promises to make a new batch for the teachers.

Fast forward to tonight - I'm out of chocolate chips. No problem, we'll make another flavor. I haven't made Snickerdoodles in a long time, and those sound good.

I don't have any shortening. All I have is butter. For those of you who aren't "cookie savvy" out there... cookies made with butter taste REALLY good, but they don't "puff" up very well and tend to be flat. Cookies made with shortening hold together better and puff nicely, but don't taste as good as cookies made with butter (imo, of course). So, having only butter, I knew these snickerdoodles would be a little flat, but I figured, no problem.

A little flat?!? Who was I kidding?!? You could READ through these cookies! They are anomalies of nature!

But here's the kicker! I was in a hurry, so I took them off the baking sheets before they had completely cooled, so they "melted" on the cooling rack. So now I have paper thin cookies that droop along the rack. They look like something Salvador Dali would have baked!

Hey wait... a new cookie! Hello Dali's! LOL

No comments: