Thursday, September 18, 2008

Wednesday Rewind (a day late): Game Shows

"COME ON DOWN!!!"

I apologize for sticking with the t.v. theme from last week. But I had a discussion with a friend of mine about game shows, and had a great trip down memory lane. No, we didn't talk about Deal or No Deal, or even Who Wants to be a Millionaire? No, today's game shows have nothing on the "classics". So many great shows. And these shows have given us a plethora (don't use that word everyday, now, do we?) of phrases to quote. Like the one above.

Let's take a walk down memory lane, shall we?

Jeopardy - It's been on for years. And how old is Alex Trebec anyway?? He never seems to age at all! But, honestly, it's a hoot to watch. It's always stuffy contestants in suits who know the most arcane things ever. I love trying to answer... or "come up with the question" I guess is a better phrase. But I love to see how many I can get right. Or, equally entertaining, I love watching a contestant answer incorrectly to a very easy question! Ha! We love laughing at the expense of others! The best entertainment of them all! Memorable Quote: "what is...?" or "who is...?"

The Match Game - holy smokes. This game show rocked. I really don't know where they found the contestants on this game show. It's like they purposely went out to find the stupidest schmucks they could. And since it was on in the '70s, it's a plethora of bad fashion examples, and even worse hairdo's. And the questions!! Ahhh... the questions. "Dumb Dora was so dumb...." and "John was popular with the girls because he had a big BLANK". (fill in the blank) I love the (blank). It's so... (blank). Memorable Quote: "How dumb was she?" (in response to the Dumb Dora line earlier).

The Price Is Right - the granddaddy of them ALL! The longest running game show ever.. right? I do miss Bob Barker, though. Drew Carey does ok.. but he's just not Bob. All hail Bob Barker. Anyway... I soooooooo want to play Plinko. And the game with the yodelling guy who climbs the mountain! (Wiki tells me it's called Cliff Hangers.) And I always wanted a big pair of dice to roll like they had on the show as well. Let's face it, everyone wants to be a contestant on this show. And for the announcer to yell a brand new car! when it was your time to play for a prize. Memorable Quote: "Actual Retail price..." "Come on down! You're the next contestant....!" and I can't type it out, but remember the music they would run when a contestant lost their game? "Bum bum ba ba bum. Waaahhhhhh". I know you can hear it in your head.....

Press Your Luck - "Big Money! No Whammies!" Ok.. that's all I have to say about that show. Big 80's hair and bad animation with the whammy-dude. But we still quote the phrase...

Password - no, not the version they have on now with Regis. The classic password. Well, my classic password anyway with Bert Convy. Whatever happened to him anyway? (Yikes, wiki tells me he's dead. Sorry, Bert.). It was so great to see what kinds of clues contestants, and most importantly, the celebrity contestants, would come up with. One of my all time favorite shows. Memorable Quote: (whisper) "The password is...." (and my DH and I have a funny inside joke on this one... hee hee)

Family Feud - ok. Hands down, my favorite. Richard Dawson kissing all the girls. The "strikes" during the game and that "buzzzzzz" when one of the families made a wrong guess. What a great show. Memorable Quote: "Survey says....!" and "Ready for action!"

Ok.. I'm sure I've left several off this list. I can think of one or two already. But game shows were great, weren't they? Ahhh... memories.

1 comment:

Michele said...

I LOVED Match Game. Still have to stop from time to time on GSN and watch it. Makes me giggle. And I loved press your luck too. The others are definitely classics. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Ang!